Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Most Incredible Trip Ever: Part IV: "Stay Small" Also, the climax of the journey

So, friends, and family, please accept my many apologies for failing to update this story blog for so so long. Anyways, let's just jump right back in...

We left our heroes, Josh Henderson, Brandon Kelly and me, as they recuperated from the rigors of an insane 24 hours. Is that really all I've covered!? Geez. Sorry, sorry, sorry I digress...

Daniel and David
So we got an awesome meal and nap before we left to go see All the Day Holiday's set, which happened at about 2:30. It was really great! Those guys do a great job of rallying the crowd and making them feel appreciated and part of the show. They really produce a lot of energy for the scene they play, which is helped a lot by Mark's exciting drumming at the very front of the stage.


Nathan, Mark and Daniel
A funny detail about Mark at this point. He was suffering from some major allergy problems. He had taken several pills to try and loosen the incredulous amount of snot jammed in his nasal passages. So in the middle of the set he was just pounding away on those drums and throwing his head around swinging spit and sweat and not to mention a massive snot rocket or two everywhere. I mean it looked like those old nickelodeon shows with the exorbitant amount of slime. In the picture you can see him holding his head up, this is not because he's getting into it, but because he's keeping the snot from dripping onto his lap.

Fun stuff. But, these guys were great! They played really well, and did a great job with only half and hour of playing time. So after them, we left and walked around Worcester for a while. We had 2 hours until we had to return to the concert hall, so we wanted to see the city.
The Van we rode in. Nice Bumper!

Brandon. No clue.

Anyway, these were a few of the pictures I snapped. With this little lull I have a bit of time to meditate on a funny story the guys told us about that van. To begin, they were in the process of finding another van, a bus rather, which would give them more space and more storage room so they wouldn't be completely miserable riding around from concert venue to concert venue. And this van, was miserable. It was falling apart at the seams. There was rust in ever corner, dings on every door, and the bumper had just completely snapped from the body.

I was curious, so I asked what became of the elusive bumper. Well, they had been driving for several hours one day and decided to pull over and stop for a bit at some gas station. Something like that. They got out and slammed the door closed. The jarring force of that slam was enough to snap the hair or rust holding that bumper on, and it fell off in a terrible crash. Imagine if that had fallen off while they were on the highway. They would have been done.

So, to continue with the original story. We headed back in and saw this band called Moving Mountains, which All the Day Holiday had toured with at one point and become good friends with in that time. Michael, the manager, literally begged us to come see them. And I must say, I was thoroughly impressed! They were very good and their drummer blew my mind. They had this heavy presence in the room, which was probably emphasized by the heavy bass chords and drops throughout the songs. 

Another band that stood out from the rest of the guys there was some random stupid guys at the beginning. Their music was terrible, vocals - uninspired, music- again- terrible. What made them stand out was this:

dresses...
Anyway, they sucked. Moving on...

So Brandon, Josh and I sat up in the balcony for a few hours, catching maybe a few winks until the moment came for TREOS to play. In the meantime we saw some dumb emocore bands who couldn't hold a candle for the eucatastrophic beauty that was to come that night.

Dear Hunter was pretty good though, and we got a great look at the stage and got a good sit down break because, as you can guess, we were exhausted.

Josh is so tireds
 So finally, the concert commenced. We went down about 2 bands before TREOS was to come on, and tried to force our way as far to the front as possible. I managed to get on the second row just behind this chick who said she didn't even know who The Receiving End of Sirens were. WHAT!? And she wouldn't move. I was ready to punch somebody!!! I had to sit through some guidolicious bands until TREOS, which probably made their experience so much better than it would have been cold. We literally waited in there for an hour and a half for TREOS to come on, and I had to be crushed between strangers and sweat and flesh and ew it was so gross. Ugh. but I will not complain. I did get a nice picture of my misery, though. And another thing that made it so endurable was the fact that EVERYONE was there for TREOS and not for anyone else. There were people from Boston, from Maryland, Indiana, and Texas. It was awesome. One guy I talked to, which I'm sad I forgot his name, was telling me that TREOS was the only bad that suitably described our human condition and the cycle of misery we are constantly put in. Man, I wanted to tell him about the Bible, but being shoved in between 800 dudes is not exactly good for protracted conversations. Neither is the band setting up and drawing everyone's attention to the stage.

So they began...

It started with the old favorite: Planning a Prison break and jumped between both albums pretty well. They did probably all but maybe 4 or 5 songs. I mean they were just unloading their music on everyone. After listening to two songs up front and snapping some awesome pictures, I had to go back and really enjoy this concert. I wanted to dance and sing and play with everyone else that was there. I wanted to find Josh and Brandon and scream, "Is this real life!?"

Here's a video from the concert:

But I had such an incredible time. I danced like crazy. I sang every song. People were throwing each other around, dancing together, screaming in each other's faces. I loved it. Josh and Brandon sat stoically watching from the back, I don't know why they didn't dance, especially Josh, geez. But he came out as sweaty as usual, even though he didn't do hardly anything. (I <3 you, Josh) Anyway, here are a few pictures:






 So, that was the concert, the climax of the trip. It was definitely an event that I will never forget, but the journey didn't end here, we still had a night of fun and excitement, and another day of travel and another night of experience. But, for now, the story must end.

No comments:

Post a Comment