Monday, May 2, 2011

The Most Incredible Trip Ever Part 3: "Wanderers"

So as I said before, this blog series "The Most Incredible Trip Ever" was only slated to be 3 parts. At this point, I may have to revoke that statement and let the story unfold as it will.

Now, where was I?

The concert ended, and all seemed lost for the fellowship. Our choices were narrowing down on places to stay, and we had few options left. I spent a moment talking to All the Day Holiday's lead singer: Daniel Simmons, and pitched our story to him. He was a great guy, but didn't really offer us a place to stay. Oh well. So, we decided to leave the concert hall/ bar and journey back to Barbara's hot dog trailer and share company with her and Slim (the homeless guy I mentioned in Part 2). But, serendipitously, I noticed the drummer from All the Day Holiday was sitting near their van outside and playing drums on their equipment drawers.

I thought to myself, maybe just maybe he will offer us a ride. But I shrugged it off and we kept walking. As we got to the end of the block I told Josh and Brandon, "That's the drummer from All the Day Holiday; we should tell him our story and see what happens." We turned around. "If worse comes to worse, he'll say no, but at least we asked."

So we awkardly walk up to Mark and introduced ourselves. He was a cool guy, really laid back. We told him our story about possibly staying in a homeless shelter and after hearing that he was like "No way, that's crazy!" We agreed. We continued talking to the band members and met the bassist David and the rhythm guitarist Nathan. They were awesome guys.

We chatted and talked and joked around. Their manager Michael raved about the merits of Parliament cigarettes (quite the oxymoron), and we watched drunk guidos shamble up and down the blocked off street for some guido-licious bar hopping holiday between flashing blue police lights. We joked about it for a while, and Daniel, who had come out at this point to talk to us, talked about how they don't know anything better for themselves. This sounded like something a fellow believer would say, but we didn't say anything at first.

Then Nathan mentioned that he was reading a book about Jewish history, and I asked him "Are you Jewish?"

"No, I'm just curious about the roots of my faith."

We had our proof. So I up and asked him, "Are you a believer?" He and the others confirmed and we embraced. It was great to find believers outside of Gastonia or Boone or Raleigh. It's weird to think outside of those spheres, that the gospel flourishes in a real way outside of our realm of understanding. We continued talking for a while and mentioned that we may stay in a homeless shelter.

Enter high homeless man named "Richard." This guy was quite a character. He asked for some money, which we refused at first, having walked by once earlier that night. He came back a second time, which we refused again. Obviously, he was on something if he didn't remember something that happened 15 minutes prior, and came by a third time and asked. Daniel, I believe, asked his name, to which he unloaded a cesspool of unrelated and violently ejaculated ideas. There was something about respecting your parents and how we're all like trees growing off our parents or something weird like that. He walked away for a moment and proclaimed "I am... a philosopher."

How lightly people use that term. He continued talking and raving before he finally saw a crowd he wanted to beg from and walked off. Josh Brandon and I looked at each other nervously and Daniel said words that were sweet honey to my ears, "Yeah, you guys can ride with us, we can definitely make room."

[Let me take a moment here to thank God for answering prayer in a way that goes above and beyond our requests. He granted us, not only a place to stay, but transportation to it, free bed and safe fellowship with believers. He does answer prayer]

So we packed up the van and helped them load their stuff like a giant complicated chess set. We crammed in the van and just thanked the crap out of those guys. It was an awesome ride. Mark called a buddy of his that turned 21 that night and in the middle of his conversation yelled, "You aren't drunk!? Are you okay!?" Probably a lot funnier considering it was 1:30 in the morning at that point.

They offered to let us stay with them in a hotel outside Worcester (which, you will remember, is where the concert was to be) and to take us to the concert hall the next afternoon before it started.

Anyway, the car ride was fun. Mark was sassy. David was sarcastic. Michael whined. Daniel had civil conversation, and Nathan stayed mostly stoic, discussing modernist literature with me in the back seat. [Which was great; I will talk anyone's ear off about that period.] We stopped momentarily at a McDonalds, which, strangely, didn't offer any dollar menu items at all after 2 a.m. Why!?! I remember I got a quarter pounder, and it was possibly the best McDonald's food I ever got.

A lot of the details get fuzzy after that, since it was so late. But we arrived at the hotel room, which was huge - more than big enough for all of us. They gave Brandon and I the pull-out couch. Josh slept on couch cushions and the rest of them shared the king. Daniel slept in the van with Nathan. I slept like a baby. I just left my earplugs in and slept like the dead.

His smile not = fatigue

So we wake up the next morning around 8. I remember Michael saying something about having to leave at 8 and so I rushed up and washed off a little and got packed. Josh was happy to wake up as you can see from the picture here.

I was just talking to the guys as they were getting ready. I asked Michael if I could help doing anything, since we were leaving later than we needed to.

"Let me tell you a secret: I tell them we need to leave 30 minutes before we actually have to. That way, we are always on time."

Ingenious, Michael. Ingenious.

The ride to Worcester
Anyway, so we go out and get in the car. A light rain met us as we walked out, bu no big deal. We drove to Worcester, and the guys stopped at the concert hall in Worcester. We got there at about 10, and helped unload in the rain. They gave us their stuff and we walked it inside. Yeah, we were roadies. Yeah, we went in the Palladium before the concert. Yeah, we set up gear.


Left: Michael // Right: Brandon
Yeah, we're awesome. Question answered.

[I should also mention: I never got how to say Worcester. Turns out, it's pronounced 'whis-ter' not 'wor-chess-ter.' Don't worried, I was heckled most of the time for it.]

Anyway, we set up, the inside was awesome, and it was huge, and perfect for the awesome-ness of the upcoming concert.

But the guys let us go after set-up, told us what time their set was (if I remember correctly, it was 3). So, Brandon, Josh and I go to the Crowne Plaza hotel to fulfill our reservations. This place was nice! I mean clean, chandeliers, roaring fire and tiled flooring. The clerk was nice and welcoming and told us about the Breakfast Buffet.


Elation

Excitement

Joy
...All from a Breakfast Buffet.
So we shower stupid fast, get keys for everyone, and rush down to the breakfast buffet. That was the best 13 dollars I have ever spent. I have never eaten that much bacon, sausage, biscuit or egg in all my life. The consumption was unparalleled. I om-nom-nommed the crap out of that food.

Josh at a lot of gluten, which all of us suffered for later on.

So we went and took a nap until All the Day Holiday's set that afternoon.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment