Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Most Incredible Trip Ever: Part 2 "Then I Defy You, Stars"

We began our trip on May 7th, a day before Skatefest and the day of their Secret Show: "The Real Eve of Skatefest." Our plan was to leave arrive at the airport around 2 pm. Josh and Brandon were to pick me up from my apartment an hour and a half before our take-off time, which is standard procedure for that kind of thing. As 12:30 began to draw close, I became anxious and worried about arriving on time. I did NOT want to miss. So I called Josh and they told me they were on their way. I was so anxious and excited that I got my bag and packed my few little things in it - MP3 player, wallet, phone and charger, a few pairs of undies, T-shirt and an undershirt. I knew I'd sweat a ton on that trip, so I remembered to bring deodorant of course. I remembered of course that I'd be buying shirts and things, so I left room for that as well.

Anyway, details, details.

I went to the main street in front of my apartment complex, so they wouldn't have to bother to park and pull out and all that silly junk. The seconds that drew by felt like hours, but finally I saw them riding up in Josh Carroll's glorious Saturn. Its gleaming silver blue shine glinted in the sunlight and danced across the open pages of my memory. From out of that glorious chariot, Josh Henderson hung from the window, brandishing a glorious wooden sword, which I later was told came from a dumpster at App. State that he found just before he drove to Raleigh. He nearly smacked me in the head with it as they screeched to a halt at my feet, and it was one of the funniest things I had ever seen.

When I got in we just started screaming and hollering like there was no tomorrow. The Receiving End of Sirens was just blaring and we could feel the ecstasy which was to come slowly impressing itself on our minds.

We arrived at the airport with no problems. Nothing amazing to speak of. We got our JetBlue tickets and went through security. No problems with that either. We got through in literally 5 minutes. We had an hour or more to burn before the flight, so Josh and I went to an overpriced bookstore near our gate and browsed for a while. Josh (Henderson, let's make this clear) bought The Plague by Albert Camus and I bought No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (who, in my opinion, is the greatest fiction writer alive today).

Josh and I in Boston. Day 1
We boarded the flight, sitting in separate seats, and read or slept for the 2 or 3 hours we were on the plane. We arrived in Boston and charged off the ramp onto the ground of Boston. We bought a bus ticket into the heart of Boston to get a Greyhound to Providence. Brandon wound up having to pay with a 20, and got 19 shiny gold coin dollars in change. He wasn't sneaking up on anyone the rest of that trip.

We got lost briefly in Chinatown trying to find the Greyhound hub, but Josh got directions from his iPhone and we departed for Providence.

Let me take a chance to say something about Greyhound. People romanticize buses as something for hipsters, or people on identity crises or poor hobos going from place to place. They're actually not. There were people from all walks of life on that bus. Our one to Providence was nearly full. I had a seat to myself, luckily, and Josh and Brandon slept together. I was too enamored by the book to take my eyes off of it. But I sat there and charged my phone in the plugs they have at every seat. The seats were comfortable and gave you plenty of space. There is also an AC unit above you that you can control. But, I didn't venture into the bathrooms.

So we arrived in Providence, which was a beautiful city. It was very open and inviting, with tall glass buildings and other small monuments with an old-world feel shining from their granite facades. We walked about 5 blocks to the small concert hall where TREOS was to be playing. This road took us through a cobblestone walkway flanked on either side by small trees lite with lights. It was beautiful and calm that night, and we walked by a park, where we planned to hang up an ENO hammock to stay for the night.

We had no way of getting to Worcester, MA that night since the buses stopped running at 12, and we knew we'd be in that concert until possibly 1. But, being young and foolish, we didn't care one bit.

We went up into the concert hall, got our tickets approved, our ID's checked and went on in. It was a neat place, with a big bar in the very middle and a lot of scantily clad women who we knew would leave soon after that rock music would start playing. We stuck around for a bit, and got super excited when we saw Brendan Brown and Alex Bars. Our fears were dashed away in that moment, and we squealed and shouted like little girls. It was great.

Well we sat around for a bit and listened to a band called All the Day Holiday. They were really good - a good start up for an awesome night. Their frontman was really nice to the crowd, saying things like- "We love you guys. This is the reason we play," or "Come talk to us after the show, we'd love to hear your story." He was very gracious to the crowd, and seemed really sincere.

About three-quarters of the way through their set we left and decided to walk around Providence a bit more. It was a good night, and we needed to scout out places to camp in the city. We arrived again at the square where we arrived and went into the hot dog TRAILER that was there. I mean you could literally go inside this thing.

Well, we grabbed a hot dog, since we only had a hamburger in Boston and talked to the owner named Barbara. She had a homeless pal who was sitting in there, interrupting at times to tell us about how we could stay at some strip joint. We humbly declined and Barbara told us that "white boys like [us] would get robbed staying in a park." She went on to say "They [the homeless] can tell you aren't one of them, and around here they fight a ton. There was a fight out here not too long ago and the cops were called." At this point we began to get nervous and asked her for advice on where to stay for cheap. Again the homeless dude told us to go to some place and she yelled at him and told him to shut up.

The only place she recommended was the homeless shelter, which we got directions to pretty easily, but nonetheless were anxious about that idea. So, on our way back, I began to pray that we would be provided with somewhere to stay for cheap and without worry about being mugged or whatever.

Anyway, the time for CONCERT 1 came and we hustled back to the concert hall.

After waiting through some crappy post-hardcore bands, The Receiving End of Sirens finally came up to set up their equipment. It was time.
My Excitement
Brandon's Excitement
Josh's Excitement













Suffice to say, it was one of the most incredible concert events ever. Literally everyone sang along to every word of every song. There were no fights, no petty quarrels about who hit whom in the mosh pit. Everyone was excited to be there and happy to be there. TREOS was happy to be there, encouraging everyone, thanking everyone repeatedly and fostering the general sense of camaraderie.

I'm not really sure how many songs they played, or which exactly, other than their big singles and some of the more popular ones, but every second of it was so much fun. Brandon and Josh stayed near the back to watch while I dove in the pits and had fun dancing with everyone and singing along with the group.

After the show itself we went and talked to TREOS and tried to plug our story in, ya know, just to see if we could stay with them or anything, which didn't work... sadly. So we got a picture or two with them, and stood around, looked at merch. Brandon bought a shirt with a unicorn on it for TREOS, but other than that there wasn't much to snatch.


And, we still had no place to stay.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment